Quote:

I went to buy some white vinegar and all i could find was a watered down mixture to 5% acid (said on the label).Is this what everybody is using? Be nice to find full strength somewhere then dilute to what would work. It was 2.98 gal. walmart.

That's what I've been using. Just the store bought dilute acetic acid, $2.08/gal at Kroger's last night.

I just had a brake backing plate in EvapoRust for maybe four or five 2-hr sessions, and it looked like it still had a long way to go. So last night I decided to park it in vinegar over night to see what would happen. The EvapoRust is so much stronger than vinegar, I wasn't expecting much. This morning it was 99% finished! What I like about the vinegar is it changes the rust to either a sludge you can scrape off, or, in this case, the remaining rust was like small scabs that were easily flicked off - no need to make the chemical dissolve every last bit - better to knock the rust off, if it's ready to come off.

This afternoon decided to stick it back in the EvapoRust for the concluding clean up. After a hot soapy water rinse with brush, of course it flash rusted - see photo. But there is a solution for that. I'll take another photo of what to do about the flash rust and post it tomorrow.

7164117-P1020293small.jpg (470 downloads)

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.