It is a mild cam and Crower tech support indicated that a stock torque converter would be fine. There are members on here who have recommended the 271HDP and have utilized a stock converter in a heavy car and had great results. John, the distributor is a stock Mopar replacement unit from a parts store that was bought years ago (not a Mopar Performance unit). It was recurved some time ago and has one heavy spring and one light spring. It seems to be working find. I have thought about replacing it with a known good MP unit to see if that would help.

I do understand that all carbs may need tuning to get optimal performance but I would think the Thunder Series AVS would run pretty good right out of the box. The air door has already been tightened some. Any other 800 Thunder Series users out there who have had to make major adjustments on the air door on a mild combo? Just trying to get an idea of how much tuning this carb needs out of the box. As many have said, it probably needs more timing and once that is sorted out, deal with the carb tuning. I already have the calibration kit for the 800 AVS so we are ready if it needs different parts.