Quote:

I can't remember, but I don't think I have ever ran a car down the track with Radial front, Bias rear until last week (at least a fast car) & am wondering if the majority of my top end wandering issues is from the mis matched tires?

I've ran several cars on the street with Radial front/Bias rear combo's & never really had any ill handling issues, but those are generally stiff sidewall bias plys like a M/T INDY Profile.

My Road Runner now has 235/60 BF Goodrich Radial TA's up front & 26 X 11.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pros on back for track use.... Last week had rear pressure @ 18PSI, car went 118.4 MPH & was wandering all over the place from about 1/8 mile on, & then decides to do some wicked diving around when I let off after the stripe. I thought I'd make it a little better by trying 24 PSI since junk converter was'nt allowing it to hit tires hard on launch anyhow.... needless to say I let off around 1100' as I was wandering towards the timing boxes @ the traps. I only have a 7" wheel & with the 11.5's with more air actually reduces contact patch....

I ordered a set of 275/60/15 Hoosier Drag Radials this AM & will try those this weekend if weather cooperates. I have a new 4000 Stall PTC 9.5" verter coming at beginning of week, & am hoping I can get car to hook with the DR's once it is in.

I've had the car to around 110 on the street with the Hoosiers on & it feels way better stability wise, than it does at the track?? Dunno what is into it... Buddy of mine has a mid 11 sec '70 Chevelle that runs Radial fronts & M/T ET Streets on back & said his does similar wandering around, but he said his really only does it on deceleration...

I did'nt really want to try a bias front tire since I drive car every day on street I'd like to keep the Radial TA's on it, because they work well in the rain & taking corners @ speed..

Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been like trying to run 110+ MPH with radial front/Bias rear, especially with a wrinklewall rear tire....

Just feels like rear end is wandering from side to side real bad @ speed & I'm constantly trying to chase it with steering wheel. Not happy with it at all....

Keep in mind that at full trottle the front end is not is the same place as cruising speed. The wide tire sure doesn't help but if it is set up right I don't see problems with mixing tires.
In my opinion, most front end wandering is due to poor setup or driving technique. Matt