I got a good look at an LS1 back when they were brand new. There was a warranty on an SS Camaro at a friends shop, the new engine was apart and all over the floor for some reason. I was rather impressed. I've always hated the SBC, and this new plant seemed to solve a lot ov the old SBC problems. Ironically (a Chevy hater) i was the only guy at the GM dealership excited about it.

Fast forward however many years and i'm sick ov hearing about the damn things. Good engines? sure. But Chevy guys are all ov a sudden swooning over these things like they were built by Jesus hisself.

That said, i'd rather my Challenger go fast with a brand X powertrain, and efficiently, than go slow, for twice the price (and twice the fuel) with a Mopar powertrain. All things equal, Mopar has given us nothing to work with in comparison. To the original poster i say go for it.

The real bonus is that you can bolt up a REAL stick for less than $4000. Another area where we just dont have any options.

But personally... i'd stick a 4.6 or 5.4 DOHC Ford mod motor in there. Now THAT is a sexy engine. I'd put one ov those in my Mopar anyday. The added bonus ov beating big block Mopars with a 281cid engine (even a N/A one) would be icing on the cake...