Quote:

There is nothing wrong with a lokar setup that is installed correctly.

As I have stated on numerous occasions, if the installer is totally familiar with the TP theory of operation the Lokar will work satisfactory. The key word is "if".

Quote:

I'm sure the others that are satisfied with their Lokars are just as sure in the statement of no problems.

Being "satisfied" and being "correct" aren't necessarily the same thing.

Quote:

Good greif (sic) John folks would think you part ownership in Bouchillon the way you talk.

I don't make a dime off of their sales, I simply know a well-engineered product from a generic product packaged to (supposedly) work on a dedicated installation.

Let's look at the factory linkage, it's engineered to move the transmission lever in proportion to the carb opening, from idle to WOT.

Now let's look at a typical Lokar installation....the front of the cable is attached to the hole in the carb lever that is positioned below the throttle shaft, from idle to WOT the travel of this hole is around 1 1/4", then the other end of the cable is attached to the transmission lever whose travel can be anywhere from 2" to 2 3/4" depending on the lever installed (and there is a wide variety of these).

If the generic Lokar instructions are followed and the cable adjusted so that the trans lever is full back at carb WOT you can see (simple math) that the first 3/4" to 1 1/2" of the lever travel is already used up at idle and there's no spring to pull the lever forward.

Not a problem? OK, if you say so. It's not unusual to see these Lokar installations have light throttle 1-2 shifts at 25+ mph and 2-3 at 40+ mph or even higher and, possibly, no 2-3 upshift at all. If that's OK with you then, "no problem". If the cable is adjusted for correct light throttle shift points there is insufficient TP at WOT and no forced downshifts. Potential damage.

So, as I've repeatedly ranted, the Lokar works OK if the installer knows to match the total travel of the cable attach points and installs a spring.

The Bouchillon kit contains the trans lever so there's no mismatch in travel and it uses a more robust, easily located cable.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway