Quote:

Now you need to find the drop in all that wireing. Check all connections, especially and including the firewall/ bulkhead connector. Check the connector at the ignition switch, AND CHECK THE DROP across the switch, IE check the battery feed INTO the switch, and the ign feed coming OUT of the switch. SOMEWHERE in that path you are losing that 1.5V.

Guess what? Let's say the regulator "liked" 14.5?

14.5 + 1.5==16v!!!!

Thanks for the info (and nice math, btw )

I'm just curious though - it seems like you are saying that the drop would be somewhere in the ignition switch wiring (most likely). I'm curious as to why something like, say, a bad headlight switch would not also cause this. Is it because I'm not looking at a short to ground issue, but an issue with the flow of 12v+ through the 12V+ wiring circuit.

Hmm - I think I answered my own question, now that I think about it. A bad 12V+ on my headlight switch (as an example, or the radio or my heater blower motor) would not "fool" the regulator into thinking it needed more juice. And if one of those items were shorted to ground it would be obvious.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. How did people work on old cars before the internet?