Quote:

Well, it's not the flasher, because the new one won't make the blinkers work. I have the steering wheel off. but I don't know what to test. Could it be the switch even though the brake lights work?
Jim

This may be stating the obvious, but with the steering wheel removed, it's more possible the turn signal stalk - and hence, the switch - will get damaged during setting the column down somewhere. Were you quite careful handling the column out of the car? The turn signal switch can get damaged in such a way as for the brake lights and hazards to still work, but the turn signals not.

I would check continuity of the wiring in the column harness with the turn signal switch in various positions to see if there is continuity in the appropriate circuits.

I don't know how to work my scanner, but check page 8-159 in your '72 FSM.

Turn signal switch wiring:
Light green - left front.
Tan - right front.
Pink - hazard flasher.
Red - turn signal flasher.
Dark green - left rear.
Brown - right rear.
White - stop light switch.

So, with the turn signal switch off (centered) and hazards off:
Continuity with white, brown and dark green.
No continuity with anything else.

With left turn signal selected:
Continuity with red, dark green, and light green.
Continuity with white, brown.

With right turn signal selected:
Continuity with red, tan, and brown.
Continuity with white, dark green.

A much easier way, if you have a spare known-good turn signal assembly, is plug that into the car harness. Then jumper the the batt and accessory terminals on the fuse block to power the turn signal flasher, and see how that works.

Another, cruder way would be as follows:
jumper the batt and accessory terminals on the fuse block to power the turn signal flasher. Then, touch a screwdriver to the brown and dark green terminals (which are adjacent) on the car harness to activate the left rear turn signal. This will at least tell you if the flasher is working...

Good luck.
-Marq