Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by Craig J
Perfect timing for this video then.
Even though they are extremely heavy I'm glad my hemi is iron ...

The difference in weight does not make me want to run aluminum blocks unless they are blown or supercharge, the ring seal on the starting line versus how much the sleeves change in a aluminum block dring the run makes me stay away from them.

A friend of mine saw the crankcase pressure go from 12 inches of vacuum on the starting line on the 1/4 mile tracks go up to1.5 lbs. of crankcase pressure on a mid to low 7 second car with his aluminum race motor compared to his iron block race motor starting the run with 17.5 inches of vacuum on the starting line and cross the 1/4 mile finish line with 12.0 inches of vacuum.
I'm pretty sure they got a lot less runs (25 to 30 more runs on the iron blocks) out of the rings also on the aluminum race motor compared to the iron block race motors

Cab, i have ro wonder if the serious vacuum decrease was related to something with the rings, or too much oil in suspension at high rpm? My dart with a BMP aluminum block lost vacuum, but dropped from 6.8 to 4? 1/4 mile, and 7500 rpm in the traps.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky