Originally Posted by Dragula
Originally Posted by Hot 340
Originally Posted by Dragula
You really find that problem is associated with gen 2s only? How?

Well I would blame World more than anything, cause he has done that before, along with drilling head deck holes into the water jackets, as well as the trans holes into the water jackets, but figured I would take the high road. But this is a potential problem on any aluminum G2 Mopar block where the sleeve installer does not have a good process...I really like the newer Non-mopar dry deck blocks that have evolved to eliminate this issue. Mopar should follow.

When I worked at GM, we put the sleeves in with liquid nitrogen and a automated sleeve hammer that hammered them to the bottom...Seems the after market has not figured this out yet. It changes sound when it hits the bottom. Then we heat cycled them. Seems like a PITA process, but you don't see factory engines having that issue too often.

I have been PM/Chief Engineer on several of the machines that automatically install sleeves in aluminum blocks. Have done the nitrogen sleeve (Saturn/GM) and heating the block (Mercury Marine) method. In both, the sleeves are held down and the tooling is hammered to seat the sleeve. The amount of movement is measured to verify that on the last hit, the sleeve did not move. Yes, you can hear the difference in sound. The reason to seat is not just to prevent the water leakage problem in the Steve Morris video. If the deck is cut with a gap under the head of the sleeve, in operation, the bore in the aluminum expands expands more than the sleeve outside diameter. The sleeve will "float" and will move up and down with the piston. Eventually can damage the block and head.

John

1971 Satellite Sebring Plus - 14.46 @ 95.43
1977 Road Runner - N/B 11.02@ 119 Drag Radials