Originally Posted by topside
Torque for that application is King, as well as keeping highway RPM in the meat of the torque curve, usually around 2600-2800 RPM.
MPG benefits when using as little throttle opening as possible while pulling.
While my 408 made very good TQ in a Duster, it didn't compare to an RB.
Thermoquads are great in that application, 2nd best a vac-secondary.
I'd use the existing MH converter. Shift kits are a good thing, as they reduce the shift overlap; doesn't need anything racy.

Since the OP already has the MH 440/727 and the 318 is tired, the path forward seems pretty obvious.
Make sure you can cool it, and add an ATF cooler. I like deep pans on everything.

OK fellas - my transmission guy has the 727 opened up and it was starting the slow burn it would appear. His concern (very valid, and I'm in agreement) is if I reuse the existing TC it's probably got quite bit of trash/clutch material in it. Existing TC does NOT have a drain plug like I've seen on others.

SO, is there a way to "clean" (flush?) the existing torque converter OR do I just look for a reman'd unit to stab in? I'm trying to pinch some pennies on this deal (as I've got like 17 other irons in the fire). I did have another member here offer me a new towing TC but it's just a little more $$$ than I have to spend right now...

Ideas?