Because i had scratches on my high dollar Crower crank, i opted to take the aluminum BMP block over to Chuck Lofgrens shop for a good cleaning in his power washing cabinet. It has a rotating table, multiple cleaning jets, and 150 degree heated water based cleaning solution. I am glad i did, as a couple hours of working with Chuck, and talking about race engine building can be very enlightening. Chuck runs adrag pack 392 gen 3 Hemi, and it makes 700 hp with stock rockers and lifters. We spotted cam bearings that had shifted, and were almost closed off to the oil galley on number two and three cam bearings. So a new set will be going in with locktite over at KTRE race engines in East Bethal Minnesota. Chuck also mentioned that at KTRE they found the main bearing clearance on the BMP blocks is opening up a lot when the block gets up to operating temp, enough that they are now setting main clearance at .0022 cold to compensate. I know a couple of guys that run the same BMP block that i have in thier bracket cars, and that is what they have found. So i plan to follow suit and have my crank ground accordingly. Even after having run my motor on the dyno twice, and three runs at the track, gray fine grade scotchbrite and WD40 plus paper towels brought a lot of black iron dust out of the cylinder bores. I was quite surprised at how much, and i need to go over the cylinder bores again at my shop till the paper towels come out white .
I am glad I pulled that motor apart completely, as a spun cam bearing would have done serious damage.

Last edited by gregsdart; 12/22/23 02:58 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky