Originally Posted by 440Jim
I was surprised to see the >900 hp number too.
But everybody should remember, the heads had some work, not OTTB CNC345, and the -3X intake was tweaked. And he does have a vacuum pump on it.
Still, better numbers than I expected. If, if, if, we ignore the drop at 6800, and peak at 6900 rpm, this dyno still says 910 ish.
About the most I could expect from a 540 CID with CNC345 heads. up
So Jim, all along here NO DISRESPECT for your friend intended. If anything, I give him respect to pick a good shop and let them handle the build because most of us know enough to be dangerous. Buck is a good shop from what I understand. When i learned that they did the build, I started to reconsider the number may be closer to reality. And it's possible we may not have the most accurate details in the build. Doug's motor is a good example of a 900HP -1. It has some really good heads, a big cam with a 4/7 swap, 15:1, good piston/ring pack, good machining, good oiling system, and it's 58x CID. I have no doubt there is more in a better cam, Ti valves, better headers and a better intake. One other thing that probably isn't emphasized is the rest of the car when considering how much corrected HP a motor makes as measured on a dyno (let alone WHO'S dyno facility). How good is the trans, converter and the tune-up when it's in the car vs. on the dyno? How much effort was taken in most cases to find the most in the combo? Even if it makes 'only' 850HP that's pretty good when you consider it's still a low-port max wedge head. This all may make me more unpopular but, if we can't share our thoughts and debate, we'll continue to evolve slowly.