Originally Posted by Dragula
And put a boring run of the mill motor in, just to have more time enjoying driving the car vs. all the maintenance and bad manners?

Been trying to find a happy medium on the Hemi for years. Looking to make ok power, but still be able to drive it all over...I have to say, its been a fight. Still not sure I found it since the wiring burned up the day we got the new Hemi in the car, and I haven't put a single mile on it this year...

I've been reducing the cam timing in my hot rod every time I build a new motor. I've done several new motor builds for my Coronet over the past 20 years and have gone with a smaller cam each time. What is interesting is that the peak power hasn't gone down, but the idle has improved and drivability has improved each time I reduced cam timing. The trick has been using better cylinder heads and porting the intakes. My current engine is a 496 inch big block with Trick Flow heads and a ported intake. Cam is 239 duration but engine make 600 torque and 600 hp. 20 years ago I was using 20 degrees more duration but making less power and the engine was lumpy at idle and tough to drive at low speeds.