Believe me I would have much rather have had a 318 or a 360 magnum, my other Durango is a 360. But being as these vehicles aren't as "new"anymore as they were when we bought that 1st one I was more concerned about lack of rust and overall condition for this one. And rusty or not this time I found about 12 4.7 equipped Durango's to every 318/360 one. And what few 318/360 ones I did find were strangely some of the worst rotted away ones of them all. Not to mention more likely to have already 300k+ miles on them. And asking prices were still close to most "nice" ones were priced.
My other Durango is amongst the 300k+miles ones around (and not for sale since I know every bolt that has been touched on it). . is down right now on account of the trans. I have parts trickling in to rebuild the trans. (Mostly upgrades like sonnax servos, their OD spring, new band struts new pistons for the clutch drums, new sprags (I think the one in the front case started the problem) new OD piston support, etc. I'm down to needing the master kit and a fresh converter, but will have to wait a paycheck or 2...
And with 2 grandkids in car seats and car seat laws as they are)we needed something sooner than we were hoping.
So we're stuck with a 4.7. I found a very clean 03 with only 127k, in the same ballpark as rotted out, (much) higher miles ones with the engine that I would have preferred. Even though I had to drive 4 hours away to get it. (St Louis)
Back 10 years ago I can't tell you how many I passed on solely because they had the 4.7. Pickins now are slimmer.
I also wasn't happy about having to pay $3500 for something that cost me $2200, 10 years ago.
And the wife thinks any of the newer versions are "ugly".