Originally Posted by IMGTX
Originally Posted by OrangeProwler
This post makes me nervous. I just bought a project with no title and bill of sale.It was cheapish. I spoke with my BMV here about getting a title and they explained the process. Hopefully, I can get one somewhat easy otherwise may just cut my losses. I already ran the VIN and it didn't show stolen or salvaged. For your friend he could see what the process is on the car. Every state is going to be different with the process from what I understand.

You did the right thing. You talked to the state. Being overly cautious myself I would wait until I had title in hand before I put lots of time/money into it.

I bought a 66 Charger that didn't run from a business. I bought the car on Friday and the guy said come back Monday he would have the title ready. I figured he is a business so it's legit. I swapped the transmission and radiator and got it running real sweet over the weekend. I went to get the title on Monday and he said he couldn't find it but would give me my money back after I fixed it. flame

Needless to say his business went under in a couple years, I wonder why.

I ended up getting a registration & bill of sale from New York Title Co, ironically out of Alabama. My state at the time gave me a title without problems.

I found out that title companies usually just do what ordinary people can do with a little time and a conversation with the state.

Always start at the state and follow the laws they have in place. up

I believe I still have to go through the court or have a judge grant the title if I remember correctly. The BMV pointed me to all the forms.I have a bill sale, the original ad from the seller, and will save our messages. It's a 4x4 Dakota Convertible that was abandoned due to an engine issue. Truck came from California then went to Washington and bought from seller who has residence in both California and family in Washington. Truck was cheap enough I paid for the truck with a Postal Money Order just to play safe on my end as well. I'm still on the fence if I'll keep it but, worse case I use a title service. I ran the VIN through Bumper, I think the state of California, and the link above. The story/history of the truck seems to check out.