According to the tech archives on here, a stock 340 is 525# and a stock Hemi is 765#. While an all aluminum Hemi with some lighter weight internals will drop some significant weight, losing 240# is A LOT of ground to make it equal to a small block. Of course, any weight you can lose is definetly good to have.

In any case, I would be part of the crowd that would say 1" or better bars are the better selection for a street car. Being safe and predicable while on the street is, IMO, provides a better margin of safety to have than obtaining ultimate e.t. at a once or twice a year trip to the bracket drags. You will encounter countless numbers of idiot street drivers that may require evasion driving and this number is considerably higher than the number of passes you will make at the track.

I'll also chime in that with my personal experience in exactly this type of comparison, the thicker bars provide a more consistent e.t. in how they react to changing track conditions compared to the lighter bars and more adjustable suspension set up.

Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by 73cuda340
I used a caliper to measure the torsion bars and they are in the .892-.900 range. I'll try to see if I can find a part number on them to find out for sure which ones they are.

So according to the chart, you have big block bars in your car now. There is only one set with more capacity. Based on that info, I would not swap out your current bars.

Only in the stock range. There are bars available up to 1.24 from Firm Feel. The Hotchkis system is using something in the 1.1" range as the best compromise of handling and comfort.