Originally Posted by Cudatali
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Cudatali
[quote=LA360] The plan is to install some aluminum heads, get compression between 9.5-10.0. Install a 22X-23Xish cam and a 6bbl setup. With that being said, Would CR close to 10:1 .
I shoot for between 10.530 to 10.80 to 1 compression ratio on my non ethanol 91/93 octane pump gas BB builds with aluminum heads, that has work very well for me and my customers up work twocents

Thanks for the advice unfortunately I have no access to non ethanol in my area.

Ethanol in the fuel makes the fuel act like it has higher octane than it really does, compression can go higher with ethanol, the only concern could be fuel system corrosion but in nearly 20 years I have never had an issue running old fuel system components even my experiment with a bunch of parts and pieces in a sealed up peanut butter jar has not shown any degradation of the parts. It needs access to the atmosphere for extended periods of time to absorb moisture and that is what causes corrosion.

As for messaging the pistons I always round off all the sharp edges, you never know when you might get a bad batch of fuel or maybe they are out of premium and you got to run low grade in a pinch or the fuel delivery guy acidently put some diesel fuel in the tank in the ground, maybe you decide later on down the road to put some smaller chamber heads on and the work is already done without disassembling the short block or... it is just cheap/free insurance.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!