I have a 69 B body 8 3/4 489 case with 3:23 OPEN gears. While doing a brake job I decided to change the inner grease seals. The outer seals wept a little grease but not much. Before I removed the axles I did not notice any endplay on either axle. I replaced the inner seal, cleaned and re greased the bearings and installed new white foam dust seals. While cleaning I did not turn the right side adjuster since I thought it would be close in the ballpark where it should be after re installing the axles.
Well both axles had a ton of in/out play. I had to turn the right adjuster over a full turn counter clockwise to get the play out of the right side. I have it at .013 but the left side axle still has a ton of in/out play. Shouldn't the play on both sides snug up when setting the preload or did I do something wrong ? Or do I have a bad bearing ? The bearings looked good and nothing was changed except for cleaning and greasing. ( the left bearing did not have much of any grease when I cleaned it )