Originally Posted by poorboy
The reason I became self employed was because I was a lousy employee with a bad attitude.

Ran my own business for 30 years. Didn't much like that boss either, but at least he couldn't fire me! whistling The customers were a different story, telling them how you really feel sometimes isn't the best idea, but you can't let them walk all over you either. Its a balancing act. Dealing with people is always a challenge. Unless banking is your business, don't owe the customer (rob Peter to pay Paul) and don't extend credit to the customer. Contrary to what some will tell you, you don't have to do that to have a business.

Self employment is very hard the first 3-5 years. It takes time to figure out you can't spend every dime that comes in the door. One week you might make a fortune, but the next 3 weeks you might not make a penny total! If you don't have an understanding on how to manage money, self employment will be a bigger challenge. It often gives you much more understanding as to why all those bosses ran their businesses the way they did.

Self employment is the biggest challenge you will ever face, but it carries some of the best rewards.

Honesty. Hard to come by these days. Good luck! up