Originally Posted by moparx
i agree the temperature sender or probe needs to be after the radiator, and preferably in the water jacket around the cylinders.
a good place [in my opinion] would be where the block drain plug is located.
i am also a guy that likes to see the engine temperature at, or around, 195-215 or so. this is with a 16lb or higher [20-22lb dirt track radiator cap] radiator cap, and a 35-50% mix of water and coolant.
i think the extra heat produces a tick more oomph from the engine, as well as making sure all acids and moisture's are boiled out of the block internals.
remember, this is just my [old man] opinion.
your mileage will vary.
beer

I have always tried to get the sensor as close to the T/sat as possible for the aforementioned reasons and run pre mixed coolant or distilled water mix. if one doesn't have to be concerned with freezing, minimal coolant drastically improves the cooling. One of the Laser systems I was involved with functioned 100% with straight DI water. BUT Marketing insisted on being able to ship the systems loaded and over-nite if needed. Enter Glycol, and 9 month's of added work finding a gas mixture that would work. The performance took a real hit but met their requested criteria realcrazy