While Generac has become a 'standard', the are not all they are cracked up to be. I have had two of their standby generators. First was an air cooled 12KW. It, along with 6 others within a couple miles of me, all blew up (and I mean blew-up) in a storm we had. Generac tried to use "Act of God" as the reason to not warranty any of them. After a long battle with them and lots of threats, they decided to give us all our money back for the units. Problem with them was that they had not planned for a quick temperature change in a high humidity environment (go figure...they are supposed to be a 'standby' unit for when there are extreme weather conditions). Inlets to the carbs apparently iced over from the humidity and rapid temperature changes. So, we investigated changing them to Liquid-Cooled versions. At the time, they offered a 20KW unit that was supposedly using a Mitsubishi based 4-cylinder engine. So, we figured that should at least be a worthwhile power plant with fewer issues. Until after got them and found out that they were a Mitsubishi KNOCK-OFF engine, made by Chery Motors based out of China. Immediately after installing them, started having issues with them Broken flywheels, starter failures (found out that the starters were essentially Ford V-10 engine starters and that by NOT using the Generac 'brand' starter, they actually did not fall apart), Radiator caps blew off (again, found out they were sourced to some Russian or Croatian company and made from cast pot metal that fractured). I still have my 20KW, but I still keep a standby generator (portable) for my standby generator (makes a whole bunch of sense....right?)

I have a buddy that just installed one of the Kohlers. Looked to be a very well built unit. Will have to see how that one holds up and functions. I installed a Briggs and Stratton 12KW air cooled at my parents almost 6 years ago. Seemed to be a well built unit. So far, zero issues with that generator.

Not a huge Generac fan. They are cheap (relatively speaking) and marketed as lifesavers.....not so sure I would agree. I would suggest you look around and do your homework. Lots of options out there.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience