Back in '69 I ordered my first car a '69 Road Runner with 3.91 Suregrip and a 727. A few months later my friend bought a '69 Road Runner, 4-speed with 3.23 open rear. Somehow being young and nothing to do we decided to drive from southwest PA to Atlantic City just for the weekend with a his brother and a couple of friends. We got on the PA Turnpike with me leading the way and his brother in my RR riding shotgun and not too far down the pike I'm getting low on gas quickly so I pull into the first service plaza and his brother jumps out of my RR to go flag his brother down who was not keeping up and faded way back out of sight. Finally his brother comes into sight and pulls into the service plaza, pulls up alongside of my RR at the pump and screams "[censored] ARE YOU DOING DRIVING SO DAMN FAST FOR?:" I said I've been doing 65 the entire time, to which his brother, my passenger, says "yep he never went over 65 but with the 3.91 rear it sounded like we were doing a 100". His brother then says "YOU WERE DOING A HUNDRED AND SOMETIMES OVER THAT!" His brother and I laughed and kind of gave him the realcrazy look and finished filling up with 260 got into my RR and I looked at the speedometer and said hey check this out. My new Road Runner's speedometer needle was stuck straight up at 65 MPH at a stand still. Turns out the plexiglass was bowed or warped and was making contact with the needle and when I got back it was replaced under warranty. All it took during that weekend trip to AC was to tap the plexiglass anytime I was returning to less than 65 or whenever I was above 65 MPH. Was a PIA but had to be done. I think I went past a PA State Trooper at or over 100 MPH right before that service plaza and got real lucky he was on the other side and moving. Check out where 65 MPH is on a Mopar or RR speedometer, yep almost straight up. laugh2 This was back in 2003 when I drove my before restoration '68 Road Runner (3.23 Suregrip) from El Paso, TX to Northern Ohio, great times.

Mike

DSC01023.JPGDSC01000.JPG