Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by clovis
Not sure how to tell the adjusters apart. I bought a set of Smith Bros to replace the adjusters on my 1.7 CAT rockers, and to lay them next to one another not sure you can tell the difference.

Once you have both, Smith Bros and Manton's for the same application you will see the differences. I found out the hard way about Smith Bros. versus Manton while dyno testing a motor with a custom set of Smith Bros. 3/8x. (was suppose to be) .120 wall ball and cup for a solid roller cam motor with under 700 lbs. pressure opened and less than 8000 RPM. One broke in the middle (after around 12 pulls) due to a flaw in the metal in the tubing at around 5600 RPM, it ended up bending the one beside it and a broke the top of the Crower solid roller lifter body off allowing both lifters to be pushout of the lifter bores completely, one of the broken pushrod pieces got down into one lifter bore and gouge the cam lobe bad enough to need to be repair ruining my day whiney
I took the two broken pieces and the bent pushrod back to Smith Bros and was told by Pierre, he had taken my order originally and had them built for me. When he saw the broken parts he made the comment that they were .083 wall, not the .120 wall I had ordered and paid for rant
They built me two new ones and gave them to me for no charge but did not offer to help on fixing the cam whiney
I order an identical set from Manton and took the motor with the Smith Bros. in it back to the dyno after getting the cam back from being repaired and it made the same power as the two runs before the pushrods failed. I swapped in the Manton's with no other changes and the motor made 8 HP more at peak HP RPM. I was and am a dealer for both, but I only sell Manton's now due to that testing and Smith Bros. not making what they say they made on special custom orders. work

I hate to tell you Cab, but I doubt the pushrod was your issue. I went through this years ago and other things had issues causing the PR to fail.

I get that you swapped pushrods and they stopped failing. But you put on bandaid on the symptom but not the disease.

IMO at this point ANY roller cam engine should have 7/16 pushrods, especially the Chrysler stuff. I don’t care what Smith Brothers or Manton says (I use both) and they both try and talk me out of bigger diameter pushrods because their [censored] is “the best”.

You can’t get the pushrod too big. Ever. If it fits make it as big as you can and tell the PR manufacturers to piss off.

A 3/8 pushrod is for SFT street stuff.

Queue all the triggered types who run 5/16 .062 wall pushrods with 1000 pounds over the nose at 9800 RPM.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston