Originally Posted by DaveRS23
...The biggest problem with converters on a street combo like yours is getting a converter that doesn't drive like a weak clutch on the street. 3.55s behind your high torque engine will mean that with any throttle on street pavement, you are either gonna hit the tires hard enough to not go anywhere, or flash the converter up.
I have struggled with this for years. First with the 500 wedge and then with the 540 Hemi. With light throttle, the converters would move the car out just fine. But if I crowded it, they would usually flash to 4,000+.
Lenny at UCC.
In the end, ...final piece of advice from him was for me to run John Deere Hy-Guard summer fluid with just a touch of ATF to give it some color. He said that most hydraulic fluids are a compromise on viscosity with only one grade. JD's summer is a higher viscosity and as you know thicker fluid lowers the flash and 'tightens' the converter overall...

This is a superb explanation and highlights the key points of what us the street (90-95%) and strip (5% at best lol) folks face.

I have read a number of references to the John Deere fluid...can you provide more specifics as to what you use?

My 9.5" 4k stall Dynamic is a great WOT piece and actually feels pretty nice on the street as well...but the throttle crispness I felt with the previous 2800 stall is long gone...wouldn't mind some of that back...and a fluid change is a worthy (and a fairly inexpensive) experiment!