Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by moparx
not having an "engine stand", we used two 55 gallon drums with a couple of pieces of [real measurement] 1/2" plywood bolted together to get the engine to a comfortable work height.
with block upside down, put the crank in. turn block on it's end and use whatever wood shims would lift the block enough to allow the crank to turn, or stick crank snout through hole in plywood and shim front of block to steady it. install pistons, oil pump & pickup [or just pickup if big block] etc, then oil pan.
flop block right side up and shim with 2x4's to keep steady, then assemble rest of engine.
when done, roll "gym set" over engine to lift from drums. other methods used to lift engine included chain blocks, fork lift, bucket truck, wrecker, etc, depending upon where engine was being assembled.
and we weren't afraid to put one together outside with the wind blowing. biggrin
beer
And I'll bet that those motors assembled outside in the wind live forever, HUH work whistling
That is one of the lessons many people have wish they had learned that lesson by advice or watching someone else make that mistake work shruggy

surprisingly, those engines lived a long and hard life at my junkyard. biggrin
one was for a 350 cat dozer, and the other was for an international boom truck.
not the correct way of doing things for sure, but back then, we did what we had to do, where it needed to be done.
today, we know better, but i'm sure there are other examples all over the world that have had rebuilds done outside that have lived a surprising life span.
remember the old saying : "kiddies, do as i say, not as i do !" laugh2
beer