I called Dwayne Porter and ordered a solid roller camshaft for my 540 hemi that I'm building for mostly street, and some drag racing too. I had a very positive experience with Dwayne and he also helped me spec out the supporting valvetrain components for the camshaft which is just as important as choosing the right cam profile.

I did NOT want a tame camshaft that sounded stock, but I also didn't want an engine that only comes alive from 4500-7000rpm which is what you get when you have a ton of duration. Big duration cams make power at higher rpm and need a loose converter to take advantage of the rpm range. Those cams are best suited for a drag car, and they'll undoubtedly make more power than a cam like mine. When you're driving on the street, especially cruising, you're usually in the 2000-3000 rpm range. A big duration cam isn't making efficient power at that low of an rpm, and so things like throttle response and fuel economy will suffer in comparison to a smaller duration profile. The last thing you want is a big nasty expensive engine that makes a bunch of noise but doesn't move like it sounds when you punch the throttle. I went with a cam that has 260 degrees of duration at .050" lift which Dwayne suggested would be acceptable, but pushing it a bit for a true street engine of this configuration. Another consideration in all of this is cubic inches. The larger the engine the more duration it needs to achieve the desired power-band. A well built 440ci with a 252 duration at .050 cam may pull hard to 6800 or so, but you'd need a lot more duration in a 540ci to achieve the same rpm characteristics. There are other factors here, like timing, gearing, compression etc, but I'm speaking in general terms.

Before I choose a converter or gearing for my E body, I'm going to dyno the engine and look at the power-band. I'm hoping my 540 begins making good power by 3000rpm and pulls to 6200+ rpm. That would be a fairly wide power-band, that with a low enough gear should be very responsive on the street and at the track too. The dyno sheet will help me decide which components will work best with the engine and allow me to get the most enjoyment and performance out of my engine. That's my goal.

If you're unsure, call Dwayne and let him help you choose a good profile, he'll get it ordered up for you.

Last edited by BigDaddy440; 12/04/22 03:45 AM.

1969 A12 Roadrunner
1970 Plymouth Cuda
1968 Dodge Dart