Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by Ray S
38 is from Basic Startup and Adjustment and Ignition Tuning for Maximum Performance taken directly from the Mopar Performance Small Block V-8 Electronic Ignition Kit instruction sheet
56 BTDC all in.
http://www.mopar1.us/engine2.html

Engine Heads Timing Specification
A Production - Pre '89 (Iron) 35 BTDC
A Production - '89 & Newer (Iron) 32 BTDC
A W2 (Iron) 35 BTDC
A W5 (Alum.) 35 BTDC
B/RB Production (Iron) 38 BTDC
B/RB Stage I, II, III, IV, V (Iron or Alum) 38 BTDC
B/RB Indy (Alum) 35 BTDC
B/RB B1 (Alum) Under 475 cu. in. 37-39 BTDC
B/RB B1 (Alum) Over 475 cu. in., Under 15.0:1 Ratio 36-38 BTDC
B/RB B1 (Alum) Over 475 cu. in., Over 15.0:1 Ratio 34-36 BTDC
B/RB B1 TS 34 BTDC
Hemi All (Iron or Alum) 35 BTDC

I can already tell you that there are issues with that list. Production A engines in the 80's are not all the same. The 318 went to swirl port closed chamber heads in mid 85. 360's didn't, they got a swirl head, but open chambered in 89. Then the Magnums came out and those heads bear little relationship to the earlier stuff. As is typical with MP, the info is poorly detailed. Being those guys were almost invariably straight line race only oriented they don't think of anything else and neglect to tell you that.
"poorly detailed", or no details. devil's in the details. whole lot of difference between a straight line racer and somebody who wants a street cruiser. i used to build some engines for bracket racers years back (i never bracket raced because i disliked it) and can say from my experience that they are the last people i'd ask about a street tune-up.