I haven't kept up with the current trends, but it used to be a "salvage title" in IL meant the vehicle had to be rebuilt by a licensed rebuilder, then after it passed inspection, it was forever branded with a "rebuilt title". An insurance company salvage title means it was a car they considered as totaled that that have paid off the owner on. The salvage title allows the insurance co to sell that vehicle, and generally keeps it out of the hands of the general public until it has been repaired.

Now, a vehicle that has been "totaled" by an insurance company that has been bought back by the vehicle owner does not get a salvage title. The owner does not give up the title, he keeps it as it was. An insurance "total" simply means the insurance company deems that the repair cost is with in a % range of the value of the vehicle and is not worth repairing, as far as the insurance company is concerned. With older vehicles, it doesn't take much to reach the "totaled" price range of an insurance company. The damage to the vehicle could be completely cosmetic, and have nothing to do with the vehicle's function. I've bought and driven many insurance company "totaled" vehicles, some for several years and many miles.

Its the insurance company's choice on if they will insure a vehicle they have "totaled". Most will cover the vehicle for liability coverage only, until you prove the cosmetic repairs have been completed to their satisfaction. It the vehicle retains full coverage, it generally excludes the previously damaged area unless it has been repaired. It the insurance company totaled the vehicle because of a rear quarter panel damage, but the full covered vehicle was involved in a head on crash, they would pay for the value of the vehicle, less the amount paid out because of the previously damaged area, if those repairs were not made.

I bought a Dakota extended cab pick up a few years ago. The old guy driving it misjudged the distance to a parked car, and damaged the passenger side door, rear cab panel, and the front corner of the truck bed. The truck was a great truck, it just looked bad. I wanted to cover it for lability coverage only. My insurance wanted to put the truck in "high risk" because apparently, the police officer at the seen reported the truck looked "really bad". I drove the truck to my agent, and showed them the door still fully functioned, (it didn't even have much wind whistle through it)., and the truck was still fully functionally. My agent took pictures and documented that he agreed with me. They covered it for normal liability coverage. I drove that truck for 4 years, and the lady I sold it to is still driving it two years later. I suspect the truck was totaled by the old guy's insurance and he bought it back. I bought the truck from the old guy's grandson.

I can tell you lots of totaled vehicles that were bought back and delivered many more years of service. Those often make great winter beaters, or to and from work vehicles.