Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Here's what you need to do:

- check with your insurance company (or other companies if yours won't) to find out what their requirements are for insuring a vehicle on a salvage title, or with salvage history. It is possible to do, though many companies that do so will require you to have the title changed from a salvage title to a rebuilt title.

- If the latter is true, contact your state BMV to find out what steps need to be taken in order to have the title updated. For example, in Ohio, the OHSP must inspect the vehicle in person. They check the VIN, and that all safety items are working, and that the vehicle is roadworthy. Here's a link to Ohio's process, just for reference. https://services.dps.ohio.gov/vehicleInspection#!

- Don't take as gospel anything anyone tells you about "I knew a guy,' or "I wouldn't worry about it," or "In state XYZ, we do this, so you should do the same."

This is all you really need to know.

I'll add that I bought a LOW mileage Rebuilt Title car for my business from a family that bought salvage cars and repaired them. They had pictures of the car before repair, and it was obvious they did quality work. They had a dealer license so the paperwork was 100% good. Insurance company didn't bat an eye, and the rate was exactly the same. Drove it for 3 years and 100k miles and got 90% of my money back.

Right. Some insurers don't care at all about a salvage title and will insure it regardless, some want you to get a rebuilt title, some won't touch it at all.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP