Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by moparx
too bad you had to helicoil those holes. they should have been a course thread to start with.
if that had happened to me, i would have either helicoiled to a course thread on all the holes, or just drilled and tapped the case to either 5/16-18 or 3/8-16 thread. provided there was enough meat around the thread bosses.
beer

I looked at the specs because I thought the same thing about changing them to 5/16-18 but the drill bit for a 5/16-18 is smaller than the required 8mm hole.

Might be better to helicoil them to 5/16-18 ? I've done that on a trans I know would have the pan on and off a lot.

5/16-18 tap drill size is "F" drill [.257]
M8x1.25 tap drill size is "H" drill [.266]
3/8-16 tap drill size is 5/16 [.312]

the required hole size for a 5/16-18 helicoil tap is "Q" drill [.332]
the required hole size for a M8x1.25 helicoil is 21/64 drill [.328]

lots of possibilities here.
just be sure there is enough meat around the hole so the case won't be weakened by drilling the tap drill size required for the hole repair. up
beer

moparx from your tap drill sizes it would appear the 8X1.25 mm bolt is nearly equal to the 5/16-18 if not slightly LARGER by 0.009". Not much but nearly equal but still larger. Also in metric fasteners an 8X1.25 is not considered a fine thread, a fine thread 8mm bolt would be an 8X1.0 or 8X.08. That being said an 8X1.25 has 20.32 threads per inch compared to (5/16)-16 per inch so not that big of a difference in engineering standards for fasteners. A 5/16 bolt is 7.9375 mm which again is shorter than an 8mm bolt and would be threaded in a minimum of 0.0535" more than a 5/16. Meaning the 8X1.25 is actually stronger than a comparable 5/16-18 bolt or fastener and the claim of putting weaker fasteners would not hold (pun) up in engineering court wink The case of the of I didn't use a torque wrench and who the #3LL ever does when putting pan bolts on so chalk it up to "damn I hate when that happens and now I have to Helicoil them". The only way that an 8X1.25 mm bolt could pull the threads of an aluminum case/trans housing would be if there was LESS than 8mm worth of bolt threaded into the aluminum and that's not including the pan and gasket but directly into the aluminum case. You have to add the gasket and pan thickness to the length of the fastener or you will pull threads.