Originally Posted by 360view
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
A small rant here, 2005 Dakota 3.7 4x4 auto trans. Seems the powers got it wrong, they changed the tried and true 5/16 course thread bolt that we’ve used quite well for 60+ years to a M8-1.25 mm FINE THREAD bolt. Out of the 13 I just did 9 helicoils because when removing they pulled the treads out with them. Fine tread and aluminum don’t mix to well. One hour Filter and fluid change took two days. Has anyone else have this problem? Not sure what trans it is, does not look like the 904-727. 180,000 miles and still looks good though. Of course that V6 is a weak puppy.
Rant over.

I posted here of going through the same problem with the trans pan on a 2005 3.3L

I blamed it on the dealership mechanic using a Torque gun to put the pan back on.

Your info now has me considering whether it happened taking the pan off.

Did the metric change happen between 2004/2005 model years?

No clue when but I say the first year of that trans. Just a poor design imo. BTW bolt came out with the trans threads still in the threads of the bolt. The previous time I had the pan off (70,000 miles) I tightened them with a 4–1/2” long 1/4” drive ratchet (using my fingers not the palm) no way where they overtightened.