Originally Posted by oldjonny
Originally Posted by klunick
The solution is easy. Rip the infotainment system out, get rid of Auto braking, side lane assist, computer steering/braking/gas pedal. Boom you now have 2X the number of chips. By the way, I calculated that all out and it cuts the price by 5-8k.

EXACTLY

As a Electrical Engineer, I realize what a joke most of these "features" are and what is going to fail and/or be outdated first. When my wife bought her lat new car, I specfically asked if they made a stripped version less all of the BS. All of the lane departure and super complicated infotainment system means nothing to me. I disabled as many of the "features" as I could but still have the overcomplicted system that is the radio, HVAC and whatever else. I wrote a nice long letter to the manufacturer asking them to create a version of their vehicle that does not have any of the added "features"...yea, I knew I would hear nothing. My old beater truck...rubber floors, crank windows and no power locks....perfect.

That's because every little/small feature/gizmo they add makes them money. Every tiny pc on a car is factored into it's selling price.