Originally Posted by 8urvette
well thanks for the input. I wouldn't say I was granny shifting when it broke. I just tapped the clutch to help it release and banged it into gear. well... where 3rd gear used to be. It shifted like butter even at 7k. after i replaced all the synchros and had the gears deburred and the cleaned up

I'm wondering..... if i rebuild this 4 speed do i replace all the gears in the trans and all the bearings? I just rebuilt it a few months ago, maybe 1000 miles on it since then.

I was using sta-lube gear oil for this type of trans.

My other option would be to sell all my stuff off- my 540, the headers, holley MPFI, whats left of the 4 speed, the shortened d60 and go in a totally different direction with the car. But i dont think anyone here likes the ideas of battery powered cars so I wont go into that.

Replace the cluster and have it face plated if you plan on WOT shifts. I started with new 9310 speed gears and a 8620 cluster and have yet to break any hard parts. I did break the inner race of the rear mainshaft bearing however I think that was due to an oversize journal on the aftermarket mainshaft.

I would never go back to synchros in a hotrod after have a face plated box in a few cars.