Originally Posted by 8urvette
i dont make that to the wheels... what about a slipper valve? This would alleivate the harshness of dumping the clutch. Ive looking into clutch tamer before but didnt see the benefit at the time. LOL, Now Im thinking if I went with something like the mechanical clutch master slipper it would be in ever gear and would STOP me from shocking the gears the way I did.

If you shift using the clutch pedal, installing a ClutchTamer will definitely help keep your transmission alive.

The most important thing a stick shift drag racer can do is to soften the clutch's engagement rate to compliment the engine's power. Not only does that keep the engine operating up where it can make the most of its power potential, doing so also softens the impact on the rest of the drivetrain. It's your basic win/win.

The first unit I made 12+ years ago I called the "Hillbilly Clutch Slipper", basically a $12 hydraulic screen door closer I bought at the local hardware store. It worked pretty much the same as the units I currently make, but as you can imagine many originally thought the hillbilly slipper was a joke. Here's a link to info showing that original install- Hillbilly Clutch Slipper

Fast forward to today, there are now winning NHRA racers using basically the same setup to further soften launch engagement of top shelf adjustable clutches. Much shorter cylinders now, but they effectively do the same thing that the original hillbilly slipper did. It's become one of the most cost-effective things a stick shift drag racer can do. Here's a link to a page of mine about applying nitrous in a clutch car, but the top part of the page has a couple graphs that show how slowing clutch engagement rate can affect the peak impact seen by the transmission's input and driveshaft. Note that 3rd gear gets hit the hardest in this G101a example... https://grannys.tripod.com/clutchtuningnitrous.html

Grant

Last edited by weedburner; 08/07/22 01:31 PM.