Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Did Ram previously recommend premium with truck 6.4s? They don’t now. I just rechecked my manual and it says 87. Only the hipo 6.4 L in Challengers, Chargers, TRX and Grand Waggoner requires premium.
I average around 16 and change. On highway trips I’ve been surprised to see the trip fuel economy readout reading 20-22 mpg. Doing the math in my head at the pump I think the readout might be a bit optimistic and the mpg is probably closer to 19 highway.
With great difficulty me and a friend managed to free our late friend Don’s trailer out of his backyard last weekend, and then towed it 35 miles from the south burbs to the storage place. I didn’t reset the trip mpg feature so I can’t say what it will do towing, that is extent of my towing so far so can’t report on real world towing mpg. I’m guessing 9-10.
I’ve seen guys on forums recommending using mid grade when towing, but given the fact 75% of what you read on forums is just guys stroking themselves, I don’t know if there is any merit to that recommendation or not.

I haven't kept up on the technology since 2015 when I bought mine but the short answer is yes, they did recommend premium for the 6.4 then, things may have changed and my buddy with the 2021 does run regular in his, but does not do much hauling. With the weight I tow all the time I wanted nothing to do with premium back then, and would really question myself now if I had to buy premium. Did you ever find out about the AAR?

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!