I have two different sound systems on our tv. Three if the tv speakers are counted, yet never use. I could have a total of 4 but don't.
For several years I used a computer gaming sub + L + R speaker that was plugged into the earphone jack and a separate onkyo av receiver through a separate sub, and hifi quality center L + R for movies, sports, etc. I tried two separate sound bars. The first given to me to try (for 15 minutes) was passed along as the sound sux'd. I now use an old bose sound bar for general viewing an a yamaha av with the same speakers previously used with the onkyo (thank you pge for power surge blowing the L channel amp).
If you have access to try a gaming speaker setup I think it worked very well and try a high quality sound bar I think for general viewing either will impress. Keep in mind most sound bars and even high end speaker systems have a certain "best" seating area.
For movies/sports sound step up to the AV receiver and hi fi quality speakers. I tried 7.1, 5.1 and for our home layout 3.1 is fine.
I should mention on the movies and sports, even if broadcast HD, or Satellite Dish or Cable some channels broadcast encoded signal. It's good to be sure that the equip you select can broadcars the formats.
When we watched the Basket Ball finals some games I played through the sound bar and others through the AV reveiver. Only on the AV receiver could I notice the crowd noise in the center and the announcers imaged from the tv location and the "slap or swoosh" of the ball hitting the backboard or the net correctly imaged left and right. I noticed it a little during sports and especially movies make good use of the technology i.e. planes or cars going by.