Originally Posted by quickd100
What year truck?? I built a 440 Shortram motor,(same length as the long ram) and put it in my '81 W-150. You'll need to use a set of 60'e vintage valve covers, even the early 70's are to high and the rams won't clear. Also, you will probably have to ditch the brake booster and move the master cylinder. I moved mine 3" to the center and tied down the driver's side motor mount as it has 1/4" clearance.
After telling you all the bad parts now the good. They make mind-blowing low-end torque. My motor is 9.2-1 with E-STREET heads and an MP.528 solid cam with Doug's 1-3/4" headers. It make 512ftlbs@2500 and 543ftlbs@3800.
When choosing a cam for your motor err on the conservative side. The rams won't work with a big cam. The .528 was about as big as I dared go with shortrams. The carb pad will accept 500 CFM Edelbrocks , possibly 600's too but don't try and over carb the rams, Dave

Thank you for the info. Truck is a 74 ext cab long bed 440 w/ 518. I am looking at the long ram manifolds that are divided the entire length of the runner. Cam will be 268 duration or smaller. I have a couple little 450 holleys from old 413 industrial motors and thought I might try those out.

One thing I haven't been able to see from top side pics is how does the trans kick down linkage work? Would it be hard to fabricate without having the original parts? I am thinking a new style cable could be made to work but don't know for sure.