Originally Posted by njmopar
Not sure if the same, but on my '96 Ram I have both the OBDII under dash and the Chrysler diagnostic connector under the hood. Most times I have to use the Chrysler connector with any decent scan tool to read powertrain values or even accurate DTCs. In my opinion, OBDII had very limited ability that year.

The wiring on this truck has whatever Dodge gave that 96 Dakota from the factory, nothing has been altered. I know it has the under dash connection, and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another connection under the hood (I just don't remember). The scanner my buddy has is a full scale scanner that he buys updates for each year. His isn't some piece of junk you pickup at HF or Autozone.

I also understand that the early OBD2 didn't have all the abilities of the newer stuff, but at this point, all I need it to do is determine if the electronics inside the trans are functioning as Dodge made them to function. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday we can get it connected to the scanner.
If the weather cooperates, after Friday I can drive the coupe as transportation, so I can get the truck fixed. At this point, the only sure thing the truck trans is missing is the OD.