OEM concours restorations of course mandate the Thermoquad to be used, and they are good units for throttle response and driveability anyway. Ceralli had offered a suggestion to just build a stroker, which is a popular upgrade, but I declined. The overall compression ratio was matched with being able to use BP premium fuel. Per NHRA specs for Stock and Super Stock for a 71 340, if you run maximum deck height of .045 above the block deck, matched with a .036 compressed gasket thickness, and a minimum chamber volume of 63.3 cc, your static compression is right at about 12 to 1 (And that does not include using "tuliped" valve reliefs in the pistons, as opposed to flat cut valve reliefs. Then the ratio is a bit higher). I wanted no part of using VP or Sunoco race fuel for street driving. Otherwise detonation would occur.

Much thought and research went into the cam profile for my desired results. There will be showtime, but I will drive this car periodically as well. At least in my case, as far the tuning on both carbs, it was minimal, but did show much more sensitivity than I had anticipated to jet size. Metering rods were stock. Timing was pretty sensitive as well. Of course, there will probably be some minor carb adjustments when it finally goes in the car with the factory exhaust and air cleaner installed.

Bill Rolik