Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
The self-riding MC made no sense to me immediately. I've never owned a bike but my first thought was bike riders don't own them strictly for transportation, but also for the joy of riding. So what demographic is this going to appeal to? If it were for transportation only there are plenty of little crap cars like smart cars that are basically a MC with a couple panels offering weather protection and don't require learning to ride, a special driver's license, and at some strength and agility shruggy

That self-riding bike is NOT a riderless bike of the future it was developed to study rider input and motorcycle reaction to those imputs, and to put those functions into computerized form instead of a rider trying to explain what happens when he turns the bars slightly to the right and the motorcycle goes left for some strange reason........................you guys with lots of motorcycle riding experience ever try to explain that to someone that doesn't ride? laugh2

Lots and lots of people use a motorcycle for daily transportation and would think living in Florida you would know some that do. And in all parts of the world there are millions that rely on two wheels for transportation. The latest, well not the latest but for the last two or three or more decades dual purpose or "adventure" motorcycles have become the more popular type of bike, sort of the "SUV" of motorcycles. It's a bike you can literally ride around the world and have help several riders actually accomplish that goal. I have a bike now that you could do that on and it has most all of those features that I talked about from ABS, lean angle ABS, Traction Control, Wheelie Control, Performance, Comfort, and Condition control for rain, wet etc., Also heated grips and heated driver and passenger seats, self canceling turn signals, and you can delete, defeat or remove all of those features. Even Harley Davidson makes an Adventure motorcycle now the Pan America with ALL of those features and a few more "nanny" features and now finally there's a Harley that you can cruise with, feel the wind, enjoy a great day of riding and then if you want to take a trip AROUND THE WORLD and ride on just about any kind of a road, trail or nothing but earth to get you to some place else. My 1200cc V-Twin with and without "nanny" features depending on how I feel that day.

We used to call those types of bikes "garbage wagons" but I am of the minimalist school. I don't want those things on my bike. Heck, I got pissed when I bought my first bike that had the headlight switch function permanently set to on, I fixed that right quick. I remember when got my first EFI bike, no kick start, no center stand. I was like "No kick start?" The sales guy was like "What's a kick start". WTH! Yeah, I'm old, get off my lawn.