During the 1990s I was a claims manager for a large trucking company. I got a call from one of our drivers to report he had a wreck with a small passenger car. He had exited the interstate and was sitting at the end of the ramp, waiting for cross traffic to clear so he could make a right turn onto the cross road. Unknown to our driver the small car came up on his right side, completely on the shoulder. Since the cab was already turned, our driver could not see the car in his big mirrors, so he progressed through the turn and ended up hitting the left front corner of the car, which was driven by a 20-something female. No tickets were issued but the cop investigating the wreck said our driver should have seen the car. Forget that the car should not have been where it was.
Our insurance adjuster went to the scene and said the damage was very light and estimated damage at $1000. It was an old Toyota. The VP in my department wanted the wreck to go away, and because the car was occupied, I offered $1500 for a full and final release.
By that time, the woman's father showed up and refused the offer. He went to an ambulance chaser, hoping to get more money.
I got a call the next day from the attorney and he settled for $2000.
Even though it was more than I initially wanted to pay, I had to laugh about the deal because after the attorney took his percentage, I have no doubt the driver of the car ended up with less money than I initially offered.

Your life is not my fault.
My life is none of your business.

Speech is free only if you agree with those in control.