I’ve watched his videos for awhile. He makes his living doing YouTube videos, mostly going to CoParts reviewing some cars there in each episode, and bidding on and winning some. He does a cleanup and some repairs on the ones he buys and then sends them back to auction. And more often than not loses money on the sale it seems.
But making money on the cars is not the point, it’s all about the content. If the content gets views, he makes good money off these YouTube videos.
The buying a vintage car far away and driving it home thing is a new tact for him. He bought a mid 70s Buick Regal in the northeast before the Valiant, and him and Monkey Wrench Mike drove it back, mostly in a blizzard, and made it. Good times! Looks like the Valiant gave him more grief.
I’ve grown a little bored of Randy’s videos, he’s doing a lot less rebuilding on his Auto Auction Rebuild channel then he used to do, plus his buying new cars every couple months, does a video showing it off, and then getting bored and trades it in on another new car or truck, and the big debt he must be incurring seems like a case of everything Dave Ramsey ever warned you about not doing. However he’s helped a couple friends start up new channels of their own and several are good, like Santa’s Workshop, who seems like an all around nice and humble guy, and Weird Beard who is sort of a backwoods character type who does detailed videos of fixing up flip cars, along with low budget restorations.
Randy didn’t buy this car to keep and he’ll lose money selling it, but probably do well from the videos on it. He may not be Roadkill, but as a one man show trying to make a living in this stuff I can’t flame him for this.