Originally Posted by fal3
Tried to make this as brief as possible. Was fine tuning on carb, all is well. Go for a drive engine starts running rough, no power. Get it in driveway, have blue smoke pouring out of exhaust, engine running like several cylinders down, engine stalls abruptly before I get to turn it off. Try to refire engine, but starter couldn't spin engine fast enough for it to start, kinda like a dead battery. After several attempts, got engine started and see gas pouring out of carb-float stuck open I discover later. Engine cuts off abruptly, again, before I can turn it off. Check oil level and smell nothing but gas. There is gas on dipstick and thin film of oil. Panic kicks in; thinking I locked engine up. Drain oil pan; fresh oil, filter. All plugs removed; carb blocked at WoT. Tried to turn engine by hand but it was a challenge. Here's a description of the plugs. Cylinders 1 & 3 dark, sooty, black carbon. Cylinders # 2 & 4 electrode partially black. Cylinders # 5,7,6, 8 plugs were clean like not firing (almost like out of the box). I know this is something significant, but I lack the expertise to draw a conclusion.

So, I go get my priming rod, and prime engine. Remove driver side valve cover to see if top of engine getting oil. Drill got oil pressure up to 45 psi (mechanical guage) and needle slowly fell to 0. I'm getting happy. I go between priming engine and turning it by hand, checking OP guage, and it gets easier to turn motor; oil is being pushed up to valve train. I'm thinking I'm on the right track. So, I think before I fire it up, I need to prime engine and turn it by hand simultaneously. Ask son to help and two days later he is with me to repeat the above process- he primes, I turn engine by hand. This time no oil pressure at all reading on gauge. But I decide to push on with my plan (this is where I might've fk'd up). Engine turned just like previous attempt except not seeing oil coming up to valve springs. Oil pressure guage still not registering, but my son notes that needle was twitching off of 0 but not rising.
What happened? I'm starting to think a cam bearing spun blocking oil passage(?). IDK. If more info needed, let me know

When you drained it how much fluid came out ?

running up my post count some more .