Originally Posted by Transman
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I would like the torque converter to stay locked up while I am using the exhaust brake, but still drop it out of overdrive if I choose to.
If I use the brake light switch, and I want to use the brakes and the exhaust brake simultaneously, that would unlock the converter and reduce the effectiveness of the exhaust brake. So that pressure switch would probably be the way to go. Once I get the truck down to 40 miles an hour or so, the exhaust brake probably isn't needed.
This truck is always very heavily loaded, with a big camper in the bed and/or my race trailer behind. So I actually prefer a mostly manual control so I can use my senses and my brain too make decisions rather than rely on an inflexible automatic device.

If you are using a stock 47 and hauling all the weight using a Jake - you should consider some of the devices out there’s to crank throttle pressure/line pressure up.

Closed throttle will drop line to 60 +/- and using the Jake with a lot of weight can take it’s toll on the clutch’s.

Transman, I talked the guy who built the trans today. He said the pressure has been increased, but he didn't know offhand how much. What do think would be a minimum pressure during deceleration using the exhaust brake? He mentioned putting a solenoid that somehow operated the cable to increase pressure when using the exhaust brake. That must be the devise you speak of. Where would I hook up a pressure gauge to test it? Thanks, Joel

[img]http://i.imgur.com/boeexFms.jpg[/img]
31 Plymouth Coupe, 392 Hemi, T56 magnum
RS23J71
RS27J77
RP23J71
RO23J71
WM21J8A
I don't regret the things I've done. I only regret the things I didn't do.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. ~ Plato"