Originally Posted by hemicar1971
Car is a 1971 Hemi Cuda and has been a race car since day one. Raced in the summer of 1971 as a SS/D and then in 1972 as a Pro Stock and 1973 and up it was raced in C Altered and then parked in the late 70s. I believe the rear end is a late 1970 build but might of been used in 1971. I have never looked at the lead in times for this Rear Ends. I know Hemis Blocks in 1971 and are all over the place from 1968 to 1970 casting dates but assembly are also sometimes months or weeks before the build date of cars built in 1971 no real set pattern. This Dana has had a gear change from near day one and in the picture we took will look at there date codes. I know from my June built 1971 Hemi Challenger that the 1971 Power Lok under GOOD HP does not last. My Dana did not make it 6 months

Also is there any other 1970 or 1971 Specific things like brake hoses, emergency brake cables. The spring perches have been moved from the stock location and line up with the frame were the spring now go..

I don’t think the assembly plants ran much different than they did up to the late 90’s when I used to get in to them.
While there was some intent to maintain FIFO, there was no guarantee they did.

I don’t personally see it being hard to have a late built 70 axle in a 1971 vehicle if the part numbers remained the same from 70 to 71 like this axle does.
If the part number was unique for a given year the plant was supposed to clean out prior model year stuff and not use it for subsequent model year production.

Assemblies usually got sent to Mopar for service.