No, that's not what I said, or what I meant. What I meant was the scenarios you were describing were going to happen at hack shops and by guys doing hillbilly work, not that any shop that isn't OE-certified are hacks. No quality collision repair shop is going to try to circumvent OE repair procedures by fixing a car that the OE says they shouldn't be fixing. I know plenty of shops that aren't OE certified that do great work. I also know that none of them is going to try to do structural repairs on a vehicle that the OE won't sell them the parts for. They don't want the liability involved if something goes wrong. Like it or not, OE certifications are the future in collision repair.

As far as used structural parts, those are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. For example, used quarter panels were an every day occurrence 20 years ago. Now? With vehicle construction and assembly techniques the factories are using, it's become virtually impossible to put a used quarter panel on most cars...at least, impossible to do it correctly. shruggy

OE certified shops typically do charge higher labor rates, sure, at least on the cars that they are OE certified to fix. It costs a lot of money in facility and equipment upgrades and technician training to be OE certified.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP