Originally Posted by Bad340fish
For people looking at trading cars in take it to a CarMax first. My wife and I decided we wanted to ditch a car payment so we sold our 2018 Durango R/T. We had it two years, and CarMax gave us within a couple of hundred bucks within what we paid for it. We did it online, they never drove it, they barely looked at it before handing us a $20,000 check for the balance over the loan which they paid off direct.

We replaced the Durango with a 2015 Grand Cherokee that had a lot more miles. Before the CarMax deal was done I gave them a shot at the trade on the Durango, they jumped at the chance because they really needed that kind of trade but they were $3000 shy of the car max offer. Some friends of ours did a similar deal with a 2 year old Subaru they bought brand new. They bought another new subaru and the dealer couldn't touch the CarMax offer on the trade.

Likely because you had a desirable vehicle to sell. Our Carmax wasn't very generous when I was looking to peddle a car. We did WAY better trading it in.