Moparts

buying a new RAM 2500 before years end

Posted By: mcat4321

buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/16/21 11:17 PM

so a new cummins will be in my garage next year
i will be buying one off the lot,( in stock)
how should i approach this, to get the best deal?
i know supplies are low . do i have a chance to barter for money off msrp
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 12:29 AM

Just walk in to the dealer that has the truck & loudly announce that you are here to buy a truck & you want to pay sticker. See where it goes from there.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 02:59 AM

Local guy I know out here. His son just bought a 2021 GMC dually club cab . He paid full sticker. Dealer wouldnt deal off MSRP for nuttin.
$82,000 out the door
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 03:13 AM

If you have a decent trade they’ll likely give you good money toward your new truck purchase for that.
Might want to try Costco’s car buying service to get a better price but don’t hold your breath.
All in all a horrible time to be trying to buy a new or used car or truck, and no signs of things getting better anytime soon.
Posted By: hergfest

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 03:14 AM

There are a few dealers at below invoice but you have to order the truck. Probably a four month wait. On the lot your paying at least MSRP, if not more. Still no inventory.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 04:35 AM

21 and newer went back to the CP3 pump…. That is good.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY

And the earlier ones with the bad pumps are getting recalled
https://www.autonews.com/regulation...-heavy-duty-diesel-trucks-over-fuel-pump
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 04:49 AM

Try and find a SRW 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin if you can that is the way I ordered mine a few years back gets you 50 more HP and 200 more ft/lbs of torque for a couple k more over the standard Cummins, My .02 cents.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340

And the earlier ones with the bad pumps are getting recalled
https://www.autonews.com/regulation...-heavy-duty-diesel-trucks-over-fuel-pump

…. And they still haven’t announced what they’re doing. I have 2 19’s sitting waiting for parts from CP4 failure going on a month.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 09:17 AM

A buddy just took delivery of a 2022 Ram 2500 std cab Cummins HO with the AISIN trans that he ordered and was talking about selling it back to the dealer and ordering another .
He literally just got it on Wednesday.

He decided that he wants more options on his truck, and he got a Tradesman that didn't have all the stuff he now decides that he wants.
He won't need to pull his race car trailer till spring.

He bought it at the Friends pricing so he got it cheaper than sticker so he figures the dealer would want it back.
He probably hasn't put a 100 miles on it.

He's qwkmopardan here on Moparts.
Link to his user info on here.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/7466.html

If anyone is interested, message him or I can get you contact info.
Posted By: vinnyd76

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mcat4321
so a new cummins will be in my garage next year
i will be buying one off the lot,( in stock)
how should i approach this, to get the best deal?
i know supplies are low . do i have a chance to barter for money off msrp

Are you at least receiving a friend and family discount? As my friend jokes that the discount is granted through the Sunday newspaper. Once the new year comes, I’m sure there will be a deeper discount, if you can hold out and flexible on trim level/options/color?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Local guy I know out here. His son just bought a 2021 GMC dually club cab . He paid full sticker. Dealer wouldnt deal off MSRP for nuttin.
$82,000 out the door

As fugly as those things are I'm surprised they aren't giving those things away for the price of a Taco Bell taco box meal.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 11:21 AM

RECORD PROFITS for dealerships and car companies. NOBODY is EVER going back to the old way of flooded dealer lots and incentives. Those days are all used up. Dealers skip having to floor-plan the vehicles, cutting their cost. Car companies can build whatever they want (think highest profit units) and they are going to sell every one of them at full sticker. The pandemic has created a new way forward for car companies and I do not ever see them going back.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 11:31 AM

LOOKS LIKE if I want a diesel truck ....

I’m going to have to WEASEL one out of that mountain top hermit UP NORTH !
Posted By: redraptor

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by gtx6970
$82,000 out the door

As fugly as those things are I'm surprised they aren't giving those things away for the price of a Taco Bell taco box meal.

Don't chew buy no ugly truck!
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 01:45 PM

Dealers around here have very few trucks. a good way to find one is to go on the Ram website and spec it out with what you want and on their website there is an option that says find your truck and it will bring up all the similar trucks in your area up to a couple hundred mile radius. I ordered a 1500 Classic back in February as of the end of June it still wasn't here and I was told it would be another month for so. They happened to get a 1500 Big Horn with the gearing I needed at the end of June so I bought it instead. My neighbor ordered a new Ford F350 back in June and it still isn't here yet , he is considering the same thing selling it back for more than he paid for it if it ever gets here.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by vinnyd76

Are you at least receiving a friend and family discount? As my friend jokes that the discount is granted through the Sunday newspaper. Once the new year comes, I’m sure there will be a deeper discount, if you can hold out and flexible on trim level/options/color?

no, i am not. but if you know of one please let me know
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 01:58 PM

I purchased my Ram Jan of 2020, just prior to COVID and used a bonus 1k off the price offered through USAA. To insure it wasn’t worked into the price I negotiated and when I sat down with the finance guy whipped out the certificate. While they were none to happy, they honored it.
So if you are a Vet or immediate family member of one you may want to search to see if this is still offered. I believe they also have a car buying service that affords discounts and eliminates the haggling (as mentioned, haggling may be a thing in the past).

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ
A buddy just took delivery of a 2022 Ram 2500 std cab Cummins HO with the AISIN trans that he ordered and was talking about selling it back to the dealer and ordering another .

You sure it isn't a 3500? HO/Aisin not available in 2500, when I ordered my 2018 that is the way it was and still is. FWIW trucks with the Aisin trans/HO option (if 3500) have the dipstick on the drivers side, 68RE is on passenger side.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Richards

You sure it isn't a 3500? HO/Aisin not available in 2500, when I ordered my 2018 that is the way it was and still is. FWIW trucks with the Aisin trans/HO option (if 3500) have the dipstick on the drivers side, 68RE is on passenger side.

It's possible that it's a 3500.
I haven't seen the truck, I know it's a Classic version and it's the HO Cummins and Aisin trans std cab.

He said he loved the way the Aisin trans shifted, almost like it had a shift kit in it, firm/hard shifts unlike his 2019 that he traded in which he described as slipping and sliding into the next gear. laugh2

He literally got what he paid for it when he traded it in, crazy.

He has two other trucks, a 92 that's his parts runner/driver and another 92 that's restored that never gets driven.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 07:35 PM

If you don't buy one till after the1st of the year I can set you up with a Friends Control Number.
I've already used all of my 6 that I get for the year, they went to people here on Moparts.
I get 6 every year.

It makes it 1% under dealers invoice and all rebates and incentives they offer still apply.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 09:41 PM

If you don't buy one till after the1st of the year I can set you up with a Friends Control Number.
I've already used all of my 6 that I get for the year, they went to people here on Moparts.
I get 6 every year.

It makes it 1% under dealers invoice and all rebates and incentives they offer still apply.

OMG thank you!! i can wait, i just figured dealers would do better offers at the end of the year. but after reading all these responses it looks that may not be the case

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/17/21 11:46 PM

OMG thank you!! i can wait, i just figured dealers would do better offers at the end of the year. but after reading all these responses it looks that may not be the case

Message me sometime and I'll let you know what info I need to fill out the online for to get the control number for you.
The control number is good from the date of issue until January 2nd of the following year so there's no major rush to use it.
Posted By: Adm413

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 12:48 AM

A friend of mine just received his new CTD Ram. He ordered it in July. He shopped around and everybody wanted msrp. He found one small "mom and pop" dealer a couple hours away that ordered him the truck and sold it to him at $4000 below msrp. They also gave him 4k more for his trade in than anybody else. I have not heard of anybody else selling below msrp. I have been in the market for a new Jeep Cherokee L and they are all at sticker price. I figure I don't have to be in a hurry if every dealership has them and they all want full price. I'll wait and do my homework and bite when I find somebody who has incentives or has had one on the lot long enough that they want to move it.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 01:30 AM

I was lucky in 2018 when the dealers were hungry and they had this thing called "rebates" lol. I emailed four dealers within an hour and a day later placed an order on this 3500 MegaCab HO/Aisin with a sticker of $72,400, invoice was $67,593 and the dealer knocked off $3,600 of that plus whatever rebates were available when it came in I ended up paying $61k and change. I just priced out a "like" optioned truck and it is $82k now............... Trucks like mine are asking low $70's on CL so thought maybe I would sell but think I will keep it since it's paid off, and I do love the truck. My advice if you order get a 3500 and the HO/Aisin option with 420 HP and 1075 TQ ;-) this one being a 2018 is 385/930 and still gets 16 in town and 20 on the freeway. Love this truck.

Attached picture IMG_20180402_184506193_HDR.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 04:42 AM

I won’t be selling mine unless someone can pry it from my kung fu grip. Lifetime free oil changes help a lot.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 12:47 PM

For people looking at trading cars in take it to a CarMax first. My wife and I decided we wanted to ditch a car payment so we sold our 2018 Durango R/T. We had it two years, and CarMax gave us within a couple of hundred bucks within what we paid for it. We did it online, they never drove it, they barely looked at it before handing us a $20,000 check for the balance over the loan which they paid off direct.

We replaced the Durango with a 2015 Grand Cherokee that had a lot more miles. Before the CarMax deal was done I gave them a shot at the trade on the Durango, they jumped at the chance because they really needed that kind of trade but they were $3000 shy of the car max offer. Some friends of ours did a similar deal with a 2 year old Subaru they bought brand new. They bought another new subaru and the dealer couldn't touch the CarMax offer on the trade.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
I was lucky in 2018 when the dealers were hungry and they had this thing called "rebates" lol. I emailed four dealers within an hour and a day later placed an order on this 3500 MegaCab HO/Aisin with a sticker of $72,400, invoice was $67,593 and the dealer knocked off $3,600 of that plus whatever rebates were available when it came in I ended up paying $61k and change. I just priced out a "like" optioned truck and it is $82k now............... Trucks like mine are asking low $70's on CL so thought maybe I would sell but think I will keep it since it's paid off, and I do love the truck. My advice if you order get a 3500 and the HO/Aisin option with 420 HP and 1075 TQ ;-) this one being a 2018 is 385/930 and still gets 16 in town and 20 on the freeway. Love this truck.

Guarantee you’d make money on that pickup….. but man!! Why didn’t you buy the WHOLE pickup!! Long box is king! wink

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 04:08 PM

[/quote]

Guarantee you’d make money on that pickup….. but man!! Why didn’t you buy the WHOLE pickup!! Long box is king! wink [/quote]

J special ordered this long bed 2004.5 back then (600 -HO-6 speed) and didn’t need a long bed more than I wanted the big mega cab. Would have kept it but tired of shifting after 14 years, bought it for $32k and sold for $25k with 130k on it, great truck but my 2018 is better. 😎

Attached picture BD304378-B47A-4FBF-92D2-B687AAE23050.jpeg
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
For people looking at trading cars in take it to a CarMax first. My wife and I decided we wanted to ditch a car payment so we sold our 2018 Durango R/T. We had it two years, and CarMax gave us within a couple of hundred bucks within what we paid for it. We did it online, they never drove it, they barely looked at it before handing us a $20,000 check for the balance over the loan which they paid off direct.

We replaced the Durango with a 2015 Grand Cherokee that had a lot more miles. Before the CarMax deal was done I gave them a shot at the trade on the Durango, they jumped at the chance because they really needed that kind of trade but they were $3000 shy of the car max offer. Some friends of ours did a similar deal with a 2 year old Subaru they bought brand new. They bought another new subaru and the dealer couldn't touch the CarMax offer on the trade.

Likely because you had a desirable vehicle to sell. Our Carmax wasn't very generous when I was looking to peddle a car. We did WAY better trading it in.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 04:35 PM

Back in November of 08 when I bought my 08 H,Q,.C, the 09s with the new body style were out and they wanted rid of the 08 I bought, it listed for $ 39,800 I paid $22,000 and my 02 Durango with 82,000 miles and a bad rear. It was a good truck and only had 58,000 miles on it when I traded it on my 21 1500 Big Horn, it had an engine replaced at 48,000 miles due to an oil change gone bad. I took good care of it but the brakes lines started to rust and one broke, the trans line rusted and broke despite always painting the undercarriage it still rusted over the rears wheels even after filling the inner fender access holes with silicone. The dealer gave me 5 free oil changes when I bought the 08 but then they closed under the Chrysler dealer consolidation of 09 after only one oil change. I got $12,000 for it on trade they had it on their lot for $19,000 I think they sold it pretty quick. I drive my new truck very little but made an appointment to have it Ziebart undercoated , its a two month wait due to them being so busy. I looked at the 2500s before buying my 1500 but they only had a crew cab which wouldn't fit in my driveway my 21 quad cab barely fits.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 05:40 PM

I’ve heard too many bad stories about hard undercoating including mechanics who won’t even work on undercoated vehicles due to sensors and connectors all sealed up with that stuff.
I watched a lot of videos and decided to use Fluid Film to protect the underside of my new 2500.
The truck is a moose compared to my last truck, a 95 Ram 1500. I kept my Dart as a beater since many parking lots and dense suburban environments are not fun with a 3/4 ton crew cab! The front of my truck sticks out close to 2’ from the parking spot in my works parking garage even with the bumper inches from the back wall. That’s with a 6’4 bed, if I had an 8’ bed and left a hitch installed someone would be tapping me on the shoulder telling me I’m blocking too much of the aisle and can’t park my truck there! laugh2
Posted By: Sniper

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/18/21 07:27 PM

Guarantee you’d make money on that pickup….. but man!! Why didn’t you buy the WHOLE pickup!! Long box is king! wink

I have a long bed 2500 crew cab as a work truck.

That thing is a real PITA to park in just about every parking lot I have ever parked it in. Too dang long.

It tows ok though, but I have towed with it exactly once int he 110k miles I've put on it. Replacement time is coming up, no more long beds for me,
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/19/21 12:14 PM

Look into Mark Dodge in Louisiana. I know they are dealing on 1500's, best saving are from factory orders. Not sure what they are doing with the Heavy Duty models. I will probably be ordering from them next year. Even if they ship it to me, the pricing is still much better than anything near me. Their dealer fee is about $200. The dealers near me are just under $1,000. That in itself would pay for half the cost to have it shipped to me. There is a thread on 5thgenrams that has a lot of information.
Posted By: furious70

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 12/21/21 10:52 PM

OP - you're close to Jake Stephens at Dan Cummins CDJR in Paris, KY. He's doing several below invoice dealers on hellcats and such. Call them up and ask for Jake to see what he could do for you (best deals are on ordered vehicles). I drove 6hrs to buy my Hellcat from him.
Posted By: grego

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 01/12/22 03:57 PM

Hello,
If you have another friends and family discount I could use it! Looking to buy a new truck this year.
Thanks!
Greg

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 01/12/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by grego
Hello,
If you have another friends and family discount I could use it! Looking to buy a new truck this year.
Thanks!
Greg

I've got 4 left for 2022, already used 2.

I'll PM you with what info I need to fill out the form.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 01/18/22 03:06 AM

Hello,
Thanks!
Greg

thank you again for the number, but.. not a single dealer within 500 miles of cincinnati will except them at this time.. they can and are refusing to take them

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 01/18/22 06:34 AM

Hello,
Thanks!
Greg

thank you again for the number, but.. not a single dealer within 500 miles of cincinnati will except them at this time.. they can and are refusing to take them

One of my local buddies (qwkmoprdan on here) is using the the one I just got him on a Ram he order from Dave Sinclair in Pacific MO.
They're 400 miles from you.
https://www.davesinclairchryslerdod...nWrULFiJmkc8FO8gZmOlETeskaRoCSgQQAvD_BwE

He took delivery of one truck in December, sold it back to them and then ordered a higher options truck, both on Friends control numbers.

They're about 40 miles west of St,Louis Mo, out by me.
I can get you the info of the salesman that Dan is dealing with if you want.

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 01/18/22 09:46 PM

Hello,
Thanks!
Greg

One of my local buddies (qwkmoprdan on here) is using the the one I just got him on a Ram he order from Dave Sinclair in Pacific MO.
They're 400 miles from you.
https://www.davesinclairchryslerdod...nWrULFiJmkc8FO8gZmOlETeskaRoCSgQQAvD_BwE

He took delivery of one truck in December, sold it back to them and then ordered a higher options truck, both on Friends control numbers.

They're about 40 miles west of St,Louis Mo, out by me.
I can get you the info of the salesman that Dan is dealing with if you want.
most likely on an order they will use the FnF ,but not for anything on lot.
Posted By: bigal5749

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 02/01/22 12:52 AM

Hello,

Do you have another friends and family discount I could use? It would be appreciated.

-Alan

Re: buying a new RAM 2500 before years end - 02/01/22 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by bigal5749
Hello,

Do you have another friends and family discount I could use? It would be appreciated.

-Alan

Sent you a PM.

At this point I have 3 Friends Control Numbers left for 2022, they're going fast this year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums