Originally Posted by Moparteacher
Originally Posted by Racer X
Originally Posted by Moparteacher
If memory serves me correctly, there are two different counter weighted torque converters for externally balanced 440s. The weights are not the same. One is for a cast crank with LY rods; the second is for forged cranks with HD (aka six-pack) rods. Both engines came externally balance thus the weights on the TC, but different weight requirements.

Are the weights on the new torque converter the same width, length and height as the weights on the old torque converter?

I may be wrong on this, I need to find my Direct Connection Engine book. You may find more info in the Moparts Tech Archives.

My understanding is the single, large "butterfly" weight came along later. Mine has the two smaller rectangular weights, one on each side
of the drain plug. Old converter was like that, and so is the replacement. The weights appear to be the same size on both, but I can measure
to be sure.

One of the weights on the new converter is touching the flex plate pad, as far away from the drain plug as you can get it. The other weight is close to the drain plug, as is both of the weights on the old converter. Is this setup sensitive enough to notice that one weight being that far to the side? It doesn't look the the remanufacturer moved the weights, so this one may have been there from day one (ie., chrysler put it there). That is really the only anomaly between the two converters....

Well, I can't find my book, but the all-knowing internet says all the externally balnaced big blocks and six-pack rod equipped 440s used the same weights placed in the same location with the later model using a single weight, but the small block 360 converters used weights that were spread apart a bit more from the drain plug and of a slightly different weight.
Is it possible you received a small block 360 torque converter?

Maybe this will shed some light? https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/torque-converter-weight-conundrum.397714/

I think we have our smoking gun...

I'll post up a couple pictures later but when you mentioned "slightly different weight" that got me thinking....

I pulled out the digital caliper and checked... the weights are much smaller on the new converter---

OLD:
1.42 long, .78 wide, .25 thick

NEW:
1.07 long, .51 wide, .138 thick

Significant difference. I would think that would account for the vibration. I didn't look at them that closely before because
I did not expect that there are difference size weights for the big blocks. I just verified that there were two weights.

So perhaps they did give me a small block converter?

I'd really hate to take it apart again and wait for them to replace the converter. Does anyone see any issues with knocking the larger
weights off of the old converter and replacing the small ones in the locations there were in on the old converter? That is
something I can do with it still in the car...