Originally Posted by Moparteacher
If memory serves me correctly, there are two different counter weighted torque converters for externally balanced 440s. The weights are not the same. One is for a cast crank with LY rods; the second is for forged cranks with HD (aka six-pack) rods. Both engines came externally balance thus the weights on the TC, but different weight requirements.

Are the weights on the new torque converter the same width, length and height as the weights on the old torque converter?

I may be wrong on this, I need to find my Direct Connection Engine book. You may find more info in the Moparts Tech Archives.

My understanding is the single, large "butterfly" weight came along later. Mine has the two smaller rectangular weights, one on each side
of the drain plug. Old converter was like that, and so is the replacement. The weights appear to be the same size on both, but I can measure
to be sure.

One of the weights on the new converter is touching the flex plate pad, as far away from the drain plug as you can get it. The other weight is close to the drain plug, as is both of the weights on the old converter. Is this setup sensitive enough to notice that one weight being that far to the side? It doesn't look the the remanufacturer moved the weights, so this one may have been there from day one (ie., chrysler put it there). That is really the only anomaly between the two converters....